The Gateway Area Chapter's Financial Assistance program is a direct assistance program that promotes independence through referrals to other community resources and social service agencies.
- Durable Medical Equipment
- Assistive Technology
- Chore Assistance and Respite Care
- Family and Individual Counseling
Limited Emergency Assistance
With utilities, rent, mortgage
(The Chapter cannot assist with mortgages or rent when the household income will not cover the costs of basic living without on-going financial assistance. If the applicant is two or months behind in payments, a referral to and exploration of consumer credit counseling services will be required before applicant can be considered for funding.)
- With utilities, rent, mortgage
- To make homes more safe and accessible
- Incontinence Products
- Physical and Occupational Therapy Assessments
- Transportation to Medical Appointments
- Vehicle Modification and Driving Evaluation
Program requirements and qualifications:
- Assistance is need-based and provided according to a sliding fee scale.
- To obtain assistance, a verification of diagnosis and a current, confidential Financial Assistance Application, including a disclosure of income, must be on file with the Chapter.
- Some items and services require a physician’s prescription.
- Contact your health insurance provider first to see if your item is covered by your insurance. Many times equipment is covered under your plan and/or Medicare or Medicaid.
- The Loan Closet stocks donated assistive devices and medical equipment that is available to individuals with MS on a short or long-term basis.
- To make an equipment donation or to request an item from the loan closet, call the MS Society at 1-800-344-4867 option 1.
How do I apply for Assistance?
Contact the MS Society Information Resource Center at 1-800-344-4867 option 1
- Hours: M-F 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Your staff member will answer questions and then forward your request to a case coordinator. The case coordinator will contact you to discuss your request in more detail.
Special thanks to the St. Louis Philanthropic Organization, Inc., for supporting the Gateway Area Chapter's Financial Assistance program.